The principal officers of Town Planners Registration Council of Nigeria are as follows:
- Vice President
- Committee Heads
The TOPREC constituted committees to enable it achieve its mandate. The Committees so constituted as follows:
- 1. Disciplinary Committee
- 2. Investigative Panel
- 3. Visitation and Accreditation Committee
- 4. Professional Practice Examinations Committee
- 5. Membership Registration Committee
- 6. Publication and Publicity Committee
- 7. Professional Monitoring Committee
- 8. Finance and General Purpose Committee
- Educational and Training Committee
The Committees members, apart from carrying out functions relating to their sections also, initiate directional policies which are approved by Council, and then implementation by the Secretariat.
The TOPREC secretariat is headed by the President of Council while the Registrar serves as the Chief Operating and Accounting Officer, as well as the Secretary to Council. He oversees the day to day running of the secretariat and is charged by the Law to ensure its operation (Section 5 (1)
The general duties of TOPREC among others include;
- Determining who are town planners for the purposes of the Law
- Determining what standards of knowledge and skills are to be attained by persons seeking to become members of the professional of town planning, and reviewing those standards from time to time as circumstances may require.
- Securing, in attendance to the Law, the establishment and maintenance of a Register of persons entitled to practice the profession and its publication from time to time.
- Regulating and controlling the practice of the profession in all its aspects and ramifications.
- Maintaining, in accordance with the Law, appropriate conduct, discipline and order within the profession.
- Performing such other functions which in its opinion are calculated to facilitate the carrying on of its activities under the enabling Law.