TOPREC is the acronym for the Town Planners Registration Council of Nigeria, a statutory body established by Decree 3 of 1988 titled Town Planners (Registration, etc.), which has now become an Act of Parliament cited as CAP 431 LFN,1990 and CAP T7 LFN, 2004.
TOPREC was established by the Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (CAP T7, LFN 2004) to regulate and control the practice of the profession of physical planning in all its aspects and ramifications.
A Registered Town Planner will be entitled to add after his/her name the designation ‘Registered Town Planner’ or RTP for short. Please obtain the following at TOPREC Secretariat:
- Register of Town Planners (Those entitled to practice the profession in Nigeria).
- Register of Approved Planning Firms in Nigeria.
- Approved Syllabus for Training Institutions.
The registration of a Town Planner with the Registration Council shall be evidenced by the following:
- Issuance of a Certificate of Registration jointly signed by the President and the Registrar and will bear the year of registration, serial number and registration number.
- Publication of the names of Registered Town Planners in the gazette and at least two widely circulating National Dailies; or
- Publication of register of Town Planners published annually by Council.